Fruitful E-REGIO meeting in Norway
Last Thursday, the E-REGIO project consortium met up at Skagerak Arena in Skien, Norway, to dicuss issues associated with the utilization of distributed generation, storage and EVs for the purposes of improved grid operation and balancing.
by Mari Kristine Buckholm, 6th of May 2019
“Representatives from all project partner companies were present during the meeting and the participants had a ‘hands on’ experienece of the E-REGIO pilot Skagerak EnergiLab,”, says Dr. Iliana Ilieva of Smart Innovation Norway.
The pilot is owned by Skagerak Nett, which is one of the largest distribution grid owners in Norway and a part of Skagerak Energi Group. Skagerak Energi has a partnership with Odds ballklubb, Norways oldest and most environmentally friendly soccer club.
- Read also: Future E-REGIO actions decided
“Their home stadium, which has the name Skagerak Arena, is used as a pilot site to test new and innovative energy solutions for local energy balance and flexibility that benefits both the customers and the grid. While the roof of the stadium is covered with impressive in size PV installation, Skagerak is also to install a 1100 KWh energy storage that will help to better match the availble local production and load,” explains Dr. Ilieva.
- Read also: Successful first year for E-REGIO
Utilizing on local resources, the E-REGIO project will help solving pending grid challenges by means of innovative local market design and advancd ICT platform that handles the local energy and flexibility trade.
“In this context, the project partners had a good discussion on how local trade will be efficiently facilitated and made plans for productive project work in the months to come,” cocludes Dr. Ilieva.
- The E-REGIO project will analyse, test and validate a new way to implement Local Energy Markets around energy storage units and flexible assets supervised by the Local System Operator (LSO).
- The real Local Energy Markets, enabling actors to exchange local and renewable electricity in a neighbourhood, will be implemented in Norway and Sweden to demonstrate the feasibility and business potential of the concept.
- E-REGIO has received funding in the framework of the joint programming initiative ERA-Net Smart Grids Plus. The initiative is funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 646039.
Read more: eregioproject.com